Monday, February 1, 2016

Protein Snack Bars


 We have yet to have a full day of school since the giant snowstorm. We had about four days that we did not go anywhere. We had some serious snow forts, snowmen, and sledding. 

I wanted to cook something that would smell amazing when they came inside, exhausted from their fun. There needed to be some nutrition in there too. I started to look at protein bar recipes. 

While looking at the recipes, I was reminded that I am incapable of looking at one recipe and cooking it. I tend to look at four or five recipes and then create something from them.

These Protein Snack Bars are the result. My boys gave them a thumbs up! Most ingredients on this list are included in the long shelf life list. It was a good reminder to me that Chia seeds* are the food storage dream food. Love these little guys!!!

*Chia seed are the highest known whole-food source of Omega-3 acids and are a very good source of fiber, calcium, iron, & manganese. Chia seeds are 30% oil, of which 30% is omega 3 and 40% is omega 6. Chia seeds have a long shelf life (4-5 years).


Protein Bars

1 1/4 cup rolled oats
2 Tbsp seeds or nuts (I used roasted pumpkin seeds)
2 Tbsp. Chia seeds 
1/2 cup shredded coconut
1 ripe banana, mashed
1/4 cup smooth peanut butter
1/4 cup honey
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp. salt

Preheat oven to 350F Mix all ingredients together. Press into a pie dish, lined with parchment. Cook 24-26 minutes. Cool in the pan for about 1 hour before slicing. 



No comments: