Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Quicker Pea Soup




Fishing has been a bit of an obsession with these two lately. It is magical to me, because there is not many other activities that they have the patience to be still. Yet, they go to the lake and wait... This winter has been so warm, we went fishing in January! It was relatively cold to be fishing, but it was worth it to see these two brothers enjoy time together, which at this stage of life is just as rare as their patience for things. 

 I also made Erwtensoep (Pea Soup) from our ham hock. Because it was Christmas break, the kids are at home, and I had not been to the store in awhile, I found myself without potatoes. With necessity being the mother of invention, I began inventing. I looked around to see if there is anything around the house I could throw in this soup.

I decided to substitute the potatoes with Ore-Ida Potatoes O'Brien (the kind with peppers and onions) from the freezer! It worked amazingly well. I cooked the soup in the slow cooker, making this a perfect dinner for when my kids are not at school. Quick and easy! I did try this substitution for potatoes in Corn Chowder also. It worked, but the potatoes did not hold up as well as in Pea Soup.  

No comments: