Thursday, January 21, 2016

Preparedness Burnout


"Jonas" is approaching. My kids are excited to stay home, making predictions how long we could be snowed in. School has already been cancelled, even though it is not even snowing yet! I went to the store yesterday, thinking I was ahead of the game in preparedness, only to find empty bread shelves already.  It has been a bit of a culture shock, living most of my life in the west, for every snowfall to be AN EVENT. It seems any dusting turns into canceled school and empty grocery shelves. 

I think I have figured out why...there is more ice involved with snow on the east coast, so it becomes dangerous for buses and travel in general. I must admit, the weather events never seem to be as big of a deal as they make it and I think leads some to preparedness burnout...always preparing, but never needing the level of preparedness that has been done.

A friend told me one of her family members has stopped food storage all together, because she has done preparations for years and has never needed them. In the end, it is a funny reason to not prepare. It seems like there should be gratitude toward God for protection and never being in dire circumstances. 

We also know that events in these last days will be unprecedented events to what has happened before. So we will count our blessings that nothing awful has happened...and keep preparing.

 President Harold B. Lee – “If you knew what I knew, you would pile it up (food storage) in the middle of the floor, throw a cloth over it and walk around it!”



No comments: