Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Rice Krispies Treats - Two Ways


My children have grown a lot in the last seven years. My second child just turned 13 and so we have two teenagers in the house. I find myself asking, "How did this happen?" My favorite blogger just captured this idea on her blog recently too. I had always heard that it goes quickly, but I just can not believe how quickly it has really gone. Now that the toys are mostly put away (except the legos) and it won't be long until they are all taller than me, the subject has changed to FOOD! How do I keep them fed? Meals that use to last a couple days are now consumed in one sitting. I am cooking and freezing more than ever to keep down the amount of time I spend cooking (more on that next time). These two recipes are for their sweet tooth. My boys do not eat tons of sweets, so the occasional fun snack is appreciated. My husband came up with the idea of substituting 1/2 cup rice krispies for oreos (or more, depending on how rich you want it). It is amazing how deliciously addicting these are.  



Another idea I had was to mix up the regular 
Rice Krispies Treats with granola.  

Granola Rice Krispies Treats

For the granola:

4 cups regular oats
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 cup melted margarine
1/2 cup coconuts
1/2 cup honey
1 tsp. vanilla

Mix dry ingredients, then add the other ingredients. Spread on sprayed baking sheet. Bake 400 degrees for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Makes about 6 cups.

Krispies:

Melt 10 oz. bag marshmallows and 1/4 cup butter. Mix in with 4 cups Rice Krispies and 1 1/2 cups granola. Press into 9x13 buttered pan. Enjoy!

Another insanely amazing idea for Rice Krispies Treats comes from On Sutton Place and that is to add 1 large jar of marshmallow cream (13 oz) instead of using marshmallows. Also, this comes in handy if you have anyone in the family that is allergic to gelatin. The marshmallow cream is free of any gelatin! 

No comments: