Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Sweet Potato and Black Bean Soup


I had complained a while ago about my Freeze dried Sweet Potatoes that I had bought. I was expecting them to transform into the wonder that sweet potatoes are. But there was no transforming those squares into anything else but what they are, so they earned the nickname,freeze dried foam

The only problem was, I was so excited about buying the sweet potatoes, I had bought a whole box. So, I went searching for a recipe so that I could put these to use. I found a Sweet Potato and Black Bean Soup that is amazing. In fact, you can use real sweet potatoes in this recipe, but I prefer the freeze dried sweet potatoes because it makes for a quick preparation for dinner.

This soup is healthy and delicious. The cost is very economical, especially if you are making your own black beans. One pound of dried beans = about six cups of cooked beans. Six cups for around a dollar!  I would estimate the soup costs under $5.00 to make. It depends a lot where you buy your spices, I buy mine at Costco. This recipe makes a lot of soup! It will feed our family of five for at least 2 meals. Per serving it would be less than 50 cents. You can freeze it too!

If you are going to use real sweet potatoes, reduce the amount of water slightly in the recipe. I increased the amount of water to compensate for the rehydration the freeze dried sweet potatoes need.



Sweet Potato and Black Bean Soup

2 cans black beans, drained
3 cans diced tomatoes
1 onion, finely chopped
3 cups water
2 T. honey
3 cups freeze dried sweet potatoes
2 T. oregano
2 T. basil
2 tsp. paprika
3 tsp. salt*

*if your canned beans have a lot of salt, you can reduce this amount slightly.


Saute onions in oil over medium heat until the onions are translucent. Add remaining ingredients. I cook my soup in my slow cooker for several hours in high. Thicken with equal parts cornstarch and water and cook for 10 minutes longer. Shredded chicken can also be added to this recipe. 

You can keep this soup on low for hours, and it will be fine. So if you need to be gone for the day, just cook on low and it will be ready to eat when you get back!


Black Beans 

Black beans, dry
1 onion, diced
2 T. oil
2½ quarts water
Salt

Sort beans and soak them overnight in a large pot of water. Drain beans.

Rinse beans well. Put beans, onion, and oil in a slow cooker. Cover beans with water.

Cook for about 2 hours, or until tender. Add hot water, when necessary, and let cook until beans are softened. Add salt. Let it rest for 30 minutes. Serve hot or cold.

*by the way, if you have my book, you can edit this recipe to how it is written here. I got a little carried away with how long they should be cooked! Thanks!

On another note, I try to avoid to much Apocalyptic talk, but I loved the "Info graphic guide to Doomsday threats" that BBC posted yesterday. Check it out.

2 comments:

Julene said...

I LOVE that you are posting again :) And I had the same reaction to those sweet potatoes that you did, so I am so excited to hear that you loved them in this recipe. I can't wait to try it out!! Thanks for sharing it!!

Linda said...

Thanks Julene! It has been fun to sit down and blog again! I would love to know what you think about the soup when you try it out.