Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Glimpses: Great Depression Experiences



My latest project is done, and I am so happy about it!

Glimpses: Great Depression Experiences developed from a desire to organize the material that my dad, David A. Squires, had collected over the years as a professor. Each year, he assigned his students to interview family and friends that had lived through the Great Depression. 


Glimpses captures first-hand stories of daily life and organizes them by the themes that emerged from this unique collection, revealing a personal perspective on what life was really like for those who lived through such difficult circumstances. 


Excerpts from the book:

What about the run on banks and the banks closing. Did that happen where you lived?
No it didn't. We lived in a small town of about 250 people. The bank was privately owned. The bank owner was good friends with the farmers and people in the area. Everybody cooperated and tried not to panic about money. Some went for a long time without having to pay their loans because the banker trusted them and knew they would pay him back as soon as they could.

Where did you keep your money?  
We didn't trust banks with our money so we put our money in jars and put them in the pipes underground.

What is one story you remember?
My grandmother has been the brunt of silly jokes for years. She save string, elastics, pins, needles, plastic containers, plastic bags, and newspaper. She saves three or four beans in a used yogurt cup, “good for a snack.” She giggles with us about her habit…The years she spent not knowing how she and her family were going to survive, has etched itself deep within her mind.

The book is available at cost: $5.00 plus shipping.

For a limited time I will also be selling Seven Years of Plenty at cost: $8.00 plus shipping.

I have a limited quantity and do not plan on ordering more of either book!

Leave a comment or email me to order. Thank you!

lindadolsson at gmail dot com

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would like a copy. Are you paypaling?

Linda said...

After Google cart stopped, I have not set up anything else. I was just going to do a check in the mail this time, if you feel comfortable doing that. You can email me, I am happy sending the book first and after you receive the book you can send off the check. Let me know what works best for you.

Linda said...

My cookbook, Seven Years of Plenty is also sold on Amazon (by Ohio Food Storage), if you would like to go that route.

Anonymous said...

I just found your site & am enjoying reading through it. My husband wants to start trying to build up a stock of food & will help a lot. I'm reading a book right now, I think it's a Ken Burns book about the dust bowl. I enjoy history & learning more about these things. I'd love to get a copy of both your books. I'm afraid I can't manage it until next month but would really appreciate it if you could hold them for me. Hope you don't mind, also if you could let me know how to order. I'll do it at the very beginning of Feb. Thanks for your help, can't wait to get the books.
Debharris723@comcast.net

Linda said...

That sounds great! I will email you with the information!