Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Cherry Breakfast Cake


When I was a child, saturday mornings were full of vacuming, dusting, grocery shopping, and cherry breakfast cake. My Mom would make this special breakfast even though she had a whole list of things to accomplish that day. It is a favorite of mine and now it is a favorite of my children. They can't believe we can eat "cake" for breakfast!

Cherry Breakfast Cake

3 cups flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup shortening
1 T. water
4 eggs
1 can cherry pie filling

Sift together flour, salt, baking powder. In another bowl, cream sugar, butter, shortening, eggs, and water.

Pour in the flour mixture and mix well. Spread batter onto a greased cookie sheet. Spread with 1 can cherry pie filling. Bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes.

Drizzle with powdered sugar icing, while still warm:
1 cup powdered sugar
1 1/2 tsp. warm water

2 comments:

Rheanna said...

This sounds yummy! I'm the only one in my family that likes cherries though, do you think you could do it with other kinds of pie filling?

Linda said...

I would think so, but I have never tried it. It is always worth a try! I would love to hear what pie filling you choose.