Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Stockpiling, A Conversation

The battle of good vs. evil is ever present. My boys have learned this concept early in life thanks to movies like Harry Potter and Star Wars. There are always the bad guys trying to bet the good guys, and thankfully good always prevails. There are some home storage techniques that some folks are still questioning, "Is this a good thing or a bad thing?"

Stockpiling is a concept that is still on the chopping block for many people because they associate it with another word....hoarding. Stockpiling is a strange word that may conjures up images of closets and cupboards full of wasted and rotting cans. Rodents crawling on the piles of food and guns near by to protect the stockpile of waste. But stockpiling and hoarding are not the same thing.  

If I could I would change the term "Stockpiling" to "Rotation Shopping." It actually represents a method of shopping in which you buy what items are on sale. It is planned, it is organized, and it is effective.
  1. All food items at the store are on cycles of when they are on sale. Prepared LDS Family does a great job on lists of these cycles. If you jump on the cycle train, you can really save.
  2. Rotation shopping {stockpiling} is a way of "extreme couponing." If you are buying something on sale and have a coupon, you can save more than you are spending.
  3. If you are buying things you will not use, that is in a different category entirely. It is not saving money, it is wasting. If you find yourself in this situation, donating to food banks or shelters can redeem the situation quickly.
  4. This shopping method also saves time and money because you have what you need in your cupboards to cook your favorite meals.
So perhaps we can put "stockpiling" {or rotation shopping} on the list of good things...I know it has saved our family tons of money. I make my shopping list based on what is on sale and that I have a coupon for. I have the freedom to do this because I follow the cycles of sales. Last time I went shopping, the lady told me an alert had come up that I had to many coupons. I told here, "That is a good thing right?" Maybe stockpiling is something good after all.

5 comments:

Vicki in UT said...

In The Tightwad Gazette, Amy Dacyczn called it the Pantry Principle--buying enough while it is on sale to last at least until it is on sale again. I think a good food storage is simply an expanded version of the Pantry Principle.

Linda said...

I haven't heard of the Tightwad Gazette. Sounds like something I would enjoy:). I love the term Pantry Principle.

Linda said...

I haven't heard of the Tightwad Gazette. Sounds like something I would enjoy:). I love the term Pantry Principle.

mimi said...

The tightwad gazette was a newsletter in the '80's and 90's and she also wrote a popular book of the same name. She was a SAHM in Maine I believe, husband in the Navy and they outlined how living frugally, they were able to amass a large downpayment and more for a home for their large family, and staying away from debt. I have a copy of the book.

Linda said...

Thanks for the information! Sounds really interesting. We definately follow the living frugal lifestyle, so I'll have to find that book and read it!