Monday, February 13, 2012

Aguas Frescas

Blogging has changed my life in many ways. For instance, last week at my sons birthday party, I was about to take a picture of all the kids and the cupcakes and my son sees me with the camera and shouts, "Watch out! Everybody move back, my mom likes to take pictures of her food and doesn't like people being in the pictures!" The kids instantly react by all leaning backwards away from the cupcakes. I just started laughing and reassured them that I really did want them in the picture.

Also, my son made this great blueberry creation and  really wanted me to share it on my blog.

Another one of my sons came home from school eager to share a recipe he had learned in Spanish class. He made the drink Aguas Frescas with me, as they had in their class. He arranged everything in the pictures to demonstrate each step and was excited for me to share this on my blog too.  

 Aguas Frescas is a drink sold by street vendors in Mexico. Its name means, "fresh waters." In some parts of Latin America, aguas frescas can be a combination of either fruits, cereals, or seeds with sugar and water, blended to make a beverage. This is how they made it in their class.
Aguas Frescas

Water
Pineapple
1/2 cup sugar

Combine ingredients, putting desired amount in each glass. Stir each serving. Let sit overnight. Drink!
{obviously, the pineapple will not dissolve. We just ate it with a fork. Some versions of this recipe will puree the fruit. Maybe the teacher didn't want to operate a blender in class. (Liability, you know) }.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your son is on to a good thing! We have these at home with pureed strawberries and sometimes watermelon. My kids love it in the summer.

Linda said...

That sounds good! We will have to try that too.