Monday, January 23, 2012

Rotation Gone Wrong

I recently realized my evaporated milk had been a bit neglected in my cupboard. Seeing that the expiration dates where drawing closer, I took action. I made a lot of soup. I also tried to substitute evaporation milk for regular milk in some of my baking recipes.

Saturday I made Sweet Potato Corn Bread. It called for buttermilk, so I used evaporated milk, water{to dilute the thickness of the evaporated milk} and then lemon juice {to ferment the evaporated milk into buttermilk}. It worked perfectly. And using this made the recipe completely shelf stable.

This bread is not sweet, just like corn bread, it is best served with honey butter. We ate this with spaghetti last night and tonight we are eating the rest with chili. We loved it.

Sweet Potato Corn Bread
1 box (2 pouches) Betty Crocker Sweet Potatoes
2 cups yellow cornmeal
2 cups flour
2 T. sugar
2 T. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ground allspice
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
2 1/4 cup evaporated milk
1/2 cup water
2 T. lemon juice
4 T. powdered eggs
8 T. water, for powdered eggs
6 T. oil

Prepare sweet potatoes as directed on the package except that they are prepared only with 1 1/2 cups water, not the milk and butter.

In a bowl combine cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, allspice, and cinnamon.

Combine lemon juice and evaporated milk and let sit 2 minutes, to create the buttermilk. In a large bowl, pour mixture into a bowl and add water, powdered eggs, water for eggs, oil and sweet potatoes. Mix well.

Add cornmeal mixture and stir just until combined. Do not over mix. Batter will be slightly lumpy. Pour batter into greased 9x13 pan.

Bake at 400 degrees for 35-40 minutes, or until the top is golden brown. Serve with honey butter.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great idea! I had no idea you could use it in place of buttermilk like that! It's always nice to know of substitutions that way! Thanks! MLL

Linda said...

I never buy buttermilk, so I almost always use a substitutes:).

Julene said...

I never thought to use evap. milk for buttermilk. I am so literal and need someone to say something or show me something before I think outside of the box..LOL (Love the look of the blog!!)

Linda said...

Julene, necessity sometimes truly is the mother of invention:). And thanks, I am glad you like the new look, you are the only one that has said anything...I love feedback:).