Thursday, December 8, 2011

A Year in Review

Last year at this time I set out to accomplish for 2011. These new years resolutions included,
1. Cutting down on our food budget by buying less cold cereal.
{Not that there is anything wrong with cold cereal,
but you can save a lot of money by NOT buying it, that is for sure.} 
This plan included cooking more breakfast. I am going to cook several batches of waffles and pancakes and freeze them. They will be ready to pop in the toaster any morning. I will also cook breakfast the afternoon of the previous day. Some of the hot cereals and puddings can easily be reheated if prepared beforehand.
Result of this goal: Lots of cooking, freezing and saving money. But I did find when life got busy or hard, I just slipped right back into old habits. I really do love cold cereal. This leaves a bit of room for improvement.
 
2. Grow more food in our garden. I always try to add something new to my garden. This year it was rhubarb. I also added peas, onions, and sunflowers.
Result of this goal: Meet my rhubarb. My other plants did OK, I am learning.


 3. Cook food over a fire. We have a fire pit in our backyard that I have been wanting to use and I have a volcano oven that is waiting to be used too.
Result of this goal: We did cook over the fire....
If smores count :)

To sum up the experiences of the year, I learned it is not easy to change patterns. My friend recently told me she read about this couple who were changing how they were eating and it took them seven years to make a complete change. All of what we do is striving to become more self reliant. That is why this remains my favorite quote to self reliance...
"Food storage is a way of life, not a spectacular program." President Kimball
                  
                    ...and I will keep up this way of life.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you have a source for that quote? I am giving a talk on Sunday and would love to use it.

Thanks,

Rita

Anonymous said...

Love your blog. I am making similar choices for the new year. I want to cut back on using so many processed foods and make more of my own convience products (healthier) and cut back on so much meat in our diets.

Linda said...

Rita, the exact quote is,

"Preparedness, when properly pursued, is a way of life, not a sudden, spectacular program."

and the reference is:

Teachings of Presidents of the Church: Spencer W. Kimball, (2006), 114–23

Good luck with your talk:)

Linda said...

Thanks, I would love to here how it is going throughout the year!