Saturday, December 10, 2011

A Year in Review, Weather Edition

Whether you live in Texas or Tulsa, chances are that you experienced severe weather this year. In Virginia, we started last year with a record breaking cold winter,then a record breaking heat, along with a hurricane and earthquake {within a week}.

I know people across the country have similar {if not much worse} stories of weather and survival. NOAA also reports there have been more than 1,000 weather related deaths in the United States. In fact, NOAA calls it a record breaking year.

Christopher Vaccaro, NOAA spokesman said, "In many ways, 2011 rewrote the record books. From crippling snowstorms to the second deadliest tornado year on record to epic floods, drought and heat, and the third busiest hurricane season on record, we've witnessed the extreme of nearly every weather category."

National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration reports that altogether, the damage from these weather related events exceeds $50 billion. It is difficult to imagine the suffering that this amount represents. People have been through so much around the world this year. Part of the purpose of preparing is to help relief suffering when it is needed the most.

President Kimball and his wife... "lived through times of widespread economic difficulties—World War I (1914–18), the Great Depression (1929–39), and World War II (1939–45). Having experienced these challenges, President Kimball concluded, “What I have seen with my own eyes makes me afraid not to do what I can to protect against the calamities.”

I am now reviewing the goals for next
years self-reliant and preparedness goals.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope you will share your goals (or how you make them) as a guide to help us be better prepared. Enjoy your blog!

Linda said...

I am working on them now...I will post them soon. And, thank you! I am glad you stopped by.