Tuesday, December 13, 2011

"All is Safely Gathered In"


My serious pursuit of becoming self-reliant began about nine years ago when we moved to a new city, right out of school, that was very expensive. I began realizing that the I could not participate in the culture of processed foods and eating out because our budget would not allow it. We often went for weeks of living on what we had in our house, before being able to go grocery shopping again. After weeks of no fresh eggs, milk, etc. it seemed like a miracle to cook fresh cookies. We actually have the ability for making such beautiful things.

I wanted to provide well for our family on what we could afford and making bread was at the top of my list. Year after year I have made new goals and learned new things. This year my goals will be continuing to add to my "made from scratch" list. This year I have added salsa, tortillas,  and black beans to this list. I will save money and eat healthier this way.

I will also learn about growing and preserving food. I will try to cook more than smores over a fire this year. I will organize our 72 hour kit and camping equipment together. Then we can have an evacuation drill.

To make your own goals, consider the following categories, decide what is important to your family and what will help you feel more organized.

"Self-reliance involves several facets of a balanced life, including education, health, employment, family home production and storage, family finances, and spiritual strength." "Catching the Vision of Self-Reliance"

Write down your goals and place them in a place you will look often. I would love to know your goals and I will keep you posted on mine. To keep us focused on our efforts, here is some inspiration from Elder Robert D. Hales of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles. He said, “Only when we are self-reliant can we truly emulate the Savior in serving and blessing others.” Click here to review the Churches guidelines fore home storage.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want to focus on non-food items and improve our water supply, cooking & fuel areas this year. Also I am making spiritual preparation a first priority during the coming year.

Linda said...

Thank you for sharing your goals. Those sound like really good goals and I would love to here how it is going for you throughout the year.

Anonymous said...

one of the great things you can do for fuel is fresnel lens and parabolic dish lined with mirror

fresnel lens are flat magnifying glass lens that you can use to concnetrate the sun on a pot/casserole inside an insulated box with a clear lid (in cold weather, no need in summer weather)

get an old dish network dish and hot glue broken mirror pieces inside again to focus heat on a pot - prob not best to do direct coz you lose the area of the pot in the reflective area - use another mirror to reflect the collected light/heat to your pot

Linda said...

Have you seriously done that? Um, I need pictures.