Thursday, November 17, 2011

Ghee vs. Coconut Oil in Baking

Taste Test Results
My family participated in a taste test for crinkle cookies. One recipe I used coconut oil, the second recipe I used ghee, and the third recipe I used some of each coconut oil and ghee. My family was happy to participate in this taste test and always eager to give their opinion. I asked them to rank the cookies 1 out of 10. 

Some things I learned from the experiment was the coconut oil cookies were a lot like brownies, so moist and delicious with a hint of coconut taste. They needed extra time to cool so they wouldn't fall apart and I think next time I would make smaller cookies so that they would keep the cookie shape better. My family gave this cookie consistent 8 and 9 ranking. 

The ghee recipe was a great shape, but was more dry than if using regular oil or butter. I put a couple of chocolate chips in the middle before baking, just to give it some extra moisture. I thought they were still really great and another family who tasted them said all their kids loved them too. This received about a 5 ranking.

The last recipe was my favorite where I used about 2/3 coconut oil and 1/3 ghee. I thought the cookies were a perfect shape, and had great taste. My kids ranked these as a 9. But my husband liked the coconut oil cookies the best because they were so gooey and chewy.

Coconut oil really does take some preparation to get it ready to use. Although it is a solid at 76 degrees and a liquid at 77 degrees, it is tricky to get it from the solid to liquid state. My friend emailed me and told me she loves to use coconut oil in her chocolate chip cookie recipe because of the coconut taste it adds.

I found that Pleasant Hill Grain cans ghee. This airtight container extends the shelf life of ghee to 10 years or longer. This is what Pleasant Hill Grains has to say about ghee,

"Because it's canned and pasteurized right in the airtight can, ghee's shelf life is a minimum of 10 years (and likely longer). In other products, water is a major culprit in shortening shelf life; the moisture content of our ghee is less than 1% (compared to 8% for ordinary butter). Ghee keeps for months without refrigeration even after opening as long as you keep out all water and other contaminants; be sure to serve from the container only with a clean and DRY spoon each time. (Opened ghee may be refrigerated if you choose, but if you do, beware of allowing condensation to form on the container's inside rim where it can get into the ghee and cause spoilage.) Our canned ghee is stamped with the manufacturing date, but no expiration date because because it has passed the USDA test demonstrating it has a shelf life in excess of five years."

Ghee &Coconut oil are great ways to extend the shelf life of our food storage oil!

No comments: