Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Providing

I remember the first time I went to the Bishops Storehouse in Colorado. A nice older missionary couple was there to help me. Elder M. kindly reminded me, as I canned rice, to pick up every last grain from the bottom of the plastic container.

Food was sacred and must be treated with respect. I was a little annoyed at the time, knowing my time was limited, my children would be waiting for me, and it took a lot of time gathering the remenants from the bottom of the bin. Reflecting on the experience, I know he is right. The Welfare program has been around for 75 years encouraging us to be self reliant and help others in need.

President Dieter F. Uchtdorf talked about the Welfare program this last conference. "More than simply another gospel topic, "in the Lord's plan, our commitment to welfare principles should be at the very root of our faith and devotion to Him," he said.

"Like two sides of a coin, the temporal and spiritual are inseparable," he noted, adding that there are, unfortunately, those who minimize the temporal.

President Uchtdorf remarked, "That is the starting point in our time as well. We already have the Lord's organization in place. Our challenge is determining how to use it...Every generation must learn anew the doctrines that undergird the Lord's way of caring for the needy."

4 comments:

mimi said...

So very true!. We have taught our grown children since they were young to rotate, use it up and not waste it. As adults they rememeber those lessons, but sometimes we forget and waste. It is a constant struggle to not take plenty for granted, and be good stewards of what we have.

Linda said...

I agree, it is really easy to just keep consuming when it is available to you. I love that he says each generation must learn anew how to care for the needy.

Anonymous said...

Brigham said no one is so rich to sweep one grain of wheat off the hearth and into the fire - pretty direct counsel

Linda said...

What a great quote! Thank you for sharing it. Do you know a reference to that? I would love to know. Thanks!