Monday, September 19, 2011

Friends Don't Let Friends Buy Granola Bars


This is my husband at his half iron-man. It took him 7 hours to complete the swim, bike, run. The training was intense. Hours and hours of preparation. It made me think of this recipe I have spent a year trying to perfect. Do I dare even admit that? Is that too much information about the time I spend in the kitchen? Well, I was after a granola bar recipe that was chewy, delicious, and satisfied my family.  This is what I learned about making granola bars from a year of experiments:
  1. Too much honey, and that is all you can taste.
  2. Wheat flour, makes it taste gritty.
  3. Butter...I do not like butter in granola bars. Too rich.
  4. Too much liquid in the recipe, the granola bars will never set.
  5. Too little liquid in the recipe, the bars will fall apart.
  6. I see rice krispies in the granola bars in the store, so why not add them?
  7. They need to cool off for awhile so they will "set" and be ready to eat.
  8. Brown sugar makes it chewy, rather than using regular sugar.
  9. This is not the healthiest recipe, but it beats buying those expensive granola bars at the grocery store.
  10. My boys ate most of my experiments, so granola bar recipes can withstand a lot of variety and still work!  

My Granola Bars
In a bowl, combine dry ingredients:
2 cups oats
2cups rice krispies
1/2 cup oat flour
1/2 cup rice flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
In another bowl, combine wet ingredients:
1 cup brown sugar
2 T. honey
1/2 cup corn syrup
1 T. vegetable oil
Heat wet ingredients together in a bowl until just warm and mix with dry ingredients.

Stir in 2 egg whites. Press into a greased {or lined with parchment} 9x13 pan.
 
Sprinkle about 1/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips on top and gently press down.
Cook at 325 for 25 to 30 minutes. Watch carefully towards the end so they don't burn!
 
Granola bars are done when they are golden brown, unless you like them rock hard :).
Cool completely and eat!

8 comments:

Mandy1 said...

Thanks for the great recipe. Quick question for you: can I use something other than corn syrup? Thanks Keep up the good work! I love you sight

Kandy Howard said...

These look way better than store bought! Yummy!

Linda said...

Mandy, I haven't tried it myself, but you could try an alternative sweetener.

Linda said...

Thanks Kandy, my boys are just as happy eating these as store bought granola bars.

D. Hodson said...

Hi Linda...looks like a yummy recipe! I'm definitely going to try it!

Linda said...

I am waiting to hear what you think!

Julene said...

I feel the same way as you do about granola bars!! I make a batch every week for my kids' lunches and they are so easy and yummy. I use this recipe http://preparetodaywardnewsletter.blogspot.com/2010/11/cooking-from-scratch.html
No bake granola bars!! It took me a long time to find one that worked for me too, you are not alone :)

Linda said...

I'll have to try those out too! Thanks Julene, no bake is great.