Monday, September 5, 2011

Food Security



 
Food security is a concern for many people around the world. As members of the LDS Church, we have been counseled for years to prepare for times of need. I get varied responses from my friends who know I "store food." I guess it is a foreign concept if you have never thought about it before. We all know why we store food, but what must it seem like to our friends. They come into our homes, open up closets or look under our coaches, and find food stored there. I even think it looks strange if I stop and think about it. But I know why I do it. It is because a Prophet of God has asked me to. I don't know all the whys and whens, but I know that if you are prepared, you have no need to fear.


My friend recently asked, "How do we help our neighbors prepare for emergencies?" This is a great question. Glen Beck has helped spread the word about preparing with "food insurance." Recent natural disasters have also raised the awareness of the need to be prepared. 


A family in Virginia shared how they talked to their neighbors about being prepared. They said,


"Our family enjoys sharing information about the Church with neighbors and friends. Since we live in an area where hurricanes occur, preparing for a natural disaster is essential. Our ward held an emergency preparedness fair and invited the public to the event. After the fair, our family decided to personally deliver the information to nonmember friends in the area who didn’t attend. We collected extra pamphlets and handouts at the fair, added a few tips on food preservation from http://www.providentliving.org/, and slipped everything into individual folders. They were easy to deliver. We explained that we had just attended an emergency preparedness fair and had some helpful information to share...our neighbors were touched that we cared enough to include them"  
                                                                                                        Brian and Darlene Barrington, Virginia

If a situation arouse where our neighbors had not prepared, here is some great council by Ezra Taft Benson,

“Let us be in a position so we are able to not only feed ourselves through the home production and storage, but others as well...Shortly after World War II, I was called by the First Presidency to go to Europe to reestablish our missions and set up a program for the distribution of food and clothing to the Saints. Vivid in my memory are the people who got on trains each morning with all kinds of bric-a-brac in their arms to go out to the countryside to trade their possessions for food. At evening time, the train station was filled with people with arms full of vegetables and fruits, and a menagerie of squealing pigs and chickens. You never heard such a commotion. These people were, of course, willing to barter practically anything for that commodity which sustains life—food.
-Ezra Taft Benson, ‘Prepare for the Days of Tribulation,’ Ensign, Nov 1980, 32

Food does sustain us, and we know through the lessons of history that there are interruptions to our food supplies from time to time. Preparing ourselves and helping others catch the vision of preparing is a great investment!

8 comments:

Joanna G said...

I've always thought that our 3 month, 1 year, 2 year supply - whatever it may be - is not just for our own families, that the need will not be that long at all, but we will have food to share with our friends who are less prepared. Growing up in Florida, I often heard stories of this as hurricanes came through.

Anonymous said...

thanks linda for just being that quiet little voice of reminder to us all - I wish more folks got your emails

Linda said...

Joanna, that is a good point. Our efforts to be prepared often bless others.

Linda said...

Thank you so much! I am so glad it is helpful.

Diana said...

I think we will want to share with our friends, it wouldn't be so fun to be eating if they are suffering.

But it is a good idea to share our ideas about storing food and maybe a few more people will be prepared.

Linda said...

Diana, I agree. It would be hard to see other people suffering.

mimi said...

Being the only member of the church other than my immediate family, for years I have shared my gained knowledge of the important of being prepared for life's contingencies. It is great to see my parents, aunts, sister and others take heed. I totally concur with Diana and Johnna G! BTW, I am new to your site, love it!

Linda said...

MiMi, thank you for your thoughts, and I am so glad you found my blog!