Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Chia Seeds


The Storable Organic list included Chia Seeds. Until recently, the only thing I knew about chia seeds are the commericals that come on TV around Christmas time advertising the chance for you to buy your very own Chia Pet. These seeds are fast sprouting and make it fun to watch them grow. The benefit of the chia seed go far beyond watching them sprout in a clay pot.

2 tablespoons of chia seeds=

More Antioxidants than blueberries
More Calcium than milk {without the cholesterol}
More Protein, Fiber and Calcium than Flax Seed
More Fiber than Bran Cereal
More Omega-3 than Salmon
It keeps the body hydrated
Unlike flaxseed, chia seeds don't require grinding

They can be stored for long periods without becoming rancid

Aztec and Mayan ate chia seeds and it is said that 1 Tablespoon of the seeds could sustain a person for 24 hours.

Chia seeds can absorb many times their own weight in water. When this happens, a gel substance forms that digests slowly and provides energy over a long period of time. This is a valuable source of nutrition! This could be used in 72 hour kits (that you would only have to rotate every 5 years)!

My first attempt at using Chia seeds was just sprinkling them on cereal at breakfast. I got away with it once, until my boys started asking what was floating in their cereal.

I have had more successful adventures with Chia Seeds. I had to do a little searching around to find my chia seeds. I got them at the Whole Foods Store. Chia seeds are a great source of nutrition.

Coming soon: the chia seed recipes that past the taste test at our house!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi- I have just started using these- and haqve not gotten too creative with using them so I will be looking forward to seeing your recipes- Mindy

Linda said...

Great! It has been fun to discover chia seeds.

Mandy1 said...

I am so excited to try them out. We are going to buy them today!

marci357 said...

I had no clue that hair seeds (lol) were nutritious! How about in soups/stews? Are they interchangeable with beans, or are they more like just a wheat or alfalfa sprout?

Learned something new today - thank you!

And you've also stored entertainment too! lol!

Linda said...

Mandy, I am so glad! I will be interested to see what you think of the recipes.

Linda said...

Marci, that's right you can have entertainment too! I will continue to post more information to answer all your questions. Thanks for commenting!