Friday, July 22, 2011

Chia Seeds: Recipe Edition

This recipe is dedicated to my friend who serve her family kale for breakfast. SO healthy (you know who you are)! Chia seeds are outside my normal cooking routine, but it has been so fun! I love this pudding. It tasted like a dark chocolate pudding.

 
Chocolate Chia Pudding

1 ½ cup milk
2 T. maple syrup
¼ cup cocoa powder
¼ cup chia seeds
1 banana
3.5 oz. "Sprouts" baby food, Sweet Potato and white beans

Blend all ingredients in a blender. Blend well. Serve immediately or chill. The pudding will continue to thicken. Serve alone or with hot cereal, muffins, oatmeal, etc.

My taste testers wanted to sweeten it up a bit. So they grabbed the sugar and graham crackers and went to work. It is up to you how sweet you want to make it. I know my healthy friends avoid sugar as much as they can.



 Here is a drink that is popular in South American. Simple and healthy. You can also used with any juice. In South America it is made with water, citrus juice and add a little honey to sweeten it. I used juice as a substitute. 

Fresca

½ cup white grape juice
2. T chia seeds

Soak chia seeds in white grape juice for 30 minutes. Drink!

That is it. I approached this recipe with caution. The first time I tried it I even kept the chia seeds to 1 T., the second time I tried the 2 T. I really liked it! It is hard to explain what happens to the little seeds as the soak, but they soften and it is a satisfying drink. Try it and tell me what you think. I would love to hear if it passes the test tasters at your house!
These little seeds are going to be a new addition to our food storage. They don’t go rancid quickly like other grains. On the shelf, it would last for 2 years. In a #10 can, according to Storable Organics, it will last 5+ years.

These are so nutritious, with a stable shelf life, and they don’t have a very strong taste. If you don’t want to want to make pudding or a drink, you can just sprinkle them on just about anything for a nutrition boost. Try salsa, dips, soups, muffins, eggs, salads and salad dressing, smoothies, bread, etc.

According to livestrong.com, 2 T. chia seeds have,

130 calories

15 g of carbohydrates
10 g of fat
5 g of protein
4 g of fiber
Omega 3 fatty acids
16 percent of the daily requirement for iron, calcium, phosphorus and thiamin
10 percent of the daily requirement for zinc and vitamin B6
Vitamin C, magnesium, niacin, folate and riboflavin.

Coming Soon….even more amazing things about chia seeds.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi-have you heard if anyone uses them like poppy seeds in breads or muffins?

Linda said...

Yes, I am yet to try it, but this sounds like other people have had success in doing this.

Darla said...

You are so cute, Linda!! Thank you for reminding me of your blog. Ever since i moved in to our house, I've been too busy to check anything!

Darla said...

p.s. I am NOT as healthy as you give me credit for. ;) You'll have to put a "green drink" recipe on here, sometime!!

Linda said...

Ok, give me your "green drink" recipe and I will post it:)