Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Chia Gel


{My boys' first time at the beach}
Today marks the middle of summer for us. It has been a fun summer but I have to admit, I am suffering from a bit of "summer brain," which here means, I am not having many moments to have my own personal thoughts. That results in not a lot of time to dedicate to this blog. Despite my "summer brain," I have continued with my experiments in the kitchen. The latest trial was cooking brownies with chia seeds.

My children were a little apprehensive when they saw the bag of chia seeds on the counter. My son said, "Are you making regular brownies this time?" {Last time I added sweet potato puree to them}. These brownies tasted great!

Using chia seeds in brownies is much like substituting applesauce for some of the oil. When chia seeds are soaked in water for 30 minutes, they turn into a gelatin (soluble fiber). Here’s the recipe for the gel:


1/3 cup chia seeds
2 cups water

Soak in water for 30 minutes. Stores in refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.

This gel can replace up to ½ of the oil in baked goods. Disclaimer: I have only tried this in brownies. Let me know if you do any experimenting with these chia seeds. It is a great way to add nutrition to baked goods and chia seeds are gluten free.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

That cracks me up, "mom are you making regular brownies this time?" sounds like my house

Chia seeds are pretty much amazing.I like to put them into my green(spinach) smoothies in the morning and i'll put them in Salsa and Yogurt... i like the sound of them in brownies maybe my kids would actually eat them.

Linda said...

:) I need to get that green spinach smoothie recipe from you. Sounds really good!

Chia Seeds are amazing! We are enjoying them at our house. I will have to call you the next time I am going to Whole Foods.