Monday, July 4, 2011

Apricot Nectar

We had a great 4th of July and I hope you did too.
We missed being here...

And doing this...

{we heard there was a Darth Vader balloon this year}


And missed these people...


Mom, Dad, {me, when we visited another time}, my sisters and sister-in-law.

We did play lots of games, eat hot dogs and smores, and are now enjoying a great thunderstorm. I am so grateful for this country we live in. staying with the theme of refreshment...this one comes from "Seven Years of Plenty" food storage cookbook. It is great to use with dried apricots, but you can also used canned or fresh apricots. Just skip the step for soaking the apricots in water {don't add that water for soaking either}. This time I used canned apricots that I got last year when a grocery store was closing {Ukrops, for those locals who know what I am talking about}. This is a great way to preserve apricots. We love adding it straight from the refrigerator to fresca. It can also be used as syrup for ice cream, yogurt, and smoothies.

Apricot Nectar

2 cups dried apricots
3 cups boiling water
2 cups water
1 cup sugar

Place apricots in a bowl, pour boiling water over them. Let soak for 30 minutes to 1 hour. Pour mixture into blender and puree 1 to 2 minutes. Pour into a saucepan.

Add 2 cups water and bring to a boil. Stir to blend. Reduce heat and simmer 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add sugar and mix well.

Simmer for 20 more minutes, or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Place in jars and let cool. It will keep in the freezer for about a year  or in refrigerator for 1 week.

When ready to use, to make juice, add ¼ cup nectar to ¾ cup water and mix well.

2 comments:

Diana said...

Linda, I missed you too. We didn't go to Utah for the 4th of July either! But we had fun in California!

Linda said...

Thanks Diana, I thought you guys were going to be there. I am glad you guys had a good day! Good luck with the big event coming up!