Friday, June 17, 2011

Veggie Derby

 I got another bag of squash today and my nice neighbor gave me a southern recipe to go with it. I am excited. If it turns out, I will share it. If you find yourself having a few extra squash or other type of vegetable, you could try having a "veggie derby." This was our first experience and we were really clueless how to put this together. The winner had a engineer for a grandpa, and had participated in the derby last year. Unfair advantage!
I will also be making more puree. This week I made sweet potato bread, but didn't want to take the time for the extra step of making the sweet potato puree, so I just stopped by the baby food isle. I replaced the sweet potato with a blend of baby food that had sweet potato and white beans. It changed the flavor a bit, but we loved it.

4 comments:

Diggity Dog said...

maybe next year drop off half of the surplus at a homeless shelter? still plenty to have a derby and help a few downtrodden souls?

shana said...

I work at a Senior Center & it's always nice to get fresh produce donated. Either we use it or give it to clients who don't garden anymore.

Linda said...

That is a really great idea! It is good to remember those in need. I have awesome readers:).

Linda said...

This was a school project too, or I would have gone with the Senior Center also :)