Thursday, June 9, 2011

Preserving Beets

I do not have good feelings about beets. The smell of them takes me right back to the dinner table as a child, staring down at these red slices, knowing that I wasn’t going anywhere until they somehow disappeared. In my 13 years of marriage, I have never bought or cooked beets.

My neighbor gave me a bag of vegetables from a garden, which included some beets. Luckily I have just acquired the book “Deceptively Delicious.” I decided to follow her advice and puree and freeze them. That way I can put them in crazy things like pancakes and chocolate cake like Mrs. Seinfeld suggests.

This was a simple process. Cooking beets is much like cooking a baked potato. No peeling or cutting required. Just wash it, wrap it up in aluminum foil, and cook for about 1 hour at 400˚. Let the beets cool slightly.

Peel beets and place in a blender. Blend for about 2 minutes and you have a beet puree. I put them in portion sizes of 1 cup. Next time I think I will try putting more in each bag and just breaking of the portion I will be using.
When I walked back in my house from getting the mail, the smell of beets hit me. The first thought that comes into my mind is, “My house stinks.” I know beets have plenty of folic acid (which helps keep cells healthy); they are a good source of potassium which keeps your heart and blood pressure healthy.

When my husband came home and smelled our house, the first thing he said, “It smells so good in here!” (It must be another Australian thing). It was a smell that took him back to his childhood at the dinner table loving the “sweet” beets. I would never use the word “sweet” to describe beets. I need to get that recipe.

Perhaps I need to give beets a second chance. Maybe plant some in my garden next year. We did have some for dinner that night “disguised” in our chicken nuggets. Although there really is no way to disguise beets, because they stain everything red! We were thinking of new names to call it like, “fire chicken.” Regardless of how it looked, it was delicious and won everyone’s approval. Next I’m going to see how well beets disguise themselves in chocolate cake.

5 comments:

shana said...

I like beets, but the hubby doesn't. He will only eat them if they are home pickled. I use the Blue Ball canning book for the recipe.

Diggity Dog said...

I'm a newbie to beets. My family never ate them when I was a kid. But many advocate for them so I have bought a few from the local co-op and plan on planting some.

Before I planted to many I tried the beets from the co-op and found a recipe on allrecipes.com. It's basically just a can of beets, a can of mandarin oranges(tangerines really) and a balsamic vinagrette. To my tongue the beets didn't taste sweet but I know that factually beets do have a high sugar content. They used to have a sugar plant in Kansas City that would process beets. Instead I found the beets to be sort of boring. I didn't hate or like eating them. They were just sort of okay. So they probably have earned a place in my garden, but not a large place. They are easy to grow from what I've seen so far, so why not.

Linda said...

Shana, I will try them pickled! That's a good idea.

Linda said...

Diggity Dog, I am glad to hear they are easy to grow. Your recipe sounds good. I'll try that too.

Vicki in UT said...

Diggity Dog, there is a special kind of beet called a sugar beet that they make sugar out of. The beets we eat are very different. DH and I love beets, and one of my five kids likes them. The other kids won't touch them. Plain beets and pickled beets are of course very different from each other, but are both good in their own way. If you don't want to eat a whole serving of beets, try putting just 1 slice on a salad. I would think they would go well in spaghetti sauce (hide the red a bit). Young beets are much sweeter and more tender than overgrown, tougher beets. That will make a difference in whether you like them, too. Of course, if you didn't grow up eating them, it may take qhite a while to adjust to the flavor.meanwhile, i will be happy to take yours. lol