Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Cardboard Couch

{Before}
 Several years ago, I saw how to make a chair out of cardboard boxes in a children's magazine . When we had all sorts of types of boxes from moving, I decided to give it a try. I made up my own method of what I put inside so it would be a sturdy couch.

I used a lot of broken down boxes that were folded up and packing paper to make a solid inside. Our whole family can sit on it and it holds up just fine! I used a hot glue gun to put it together. Then covered it with scrapbook paper. It needed to be recovered about once a year. It was time consuming and the scrapbook paper was expensive, so I started looking for a more permanent solution.

I bought some cushions, sewed them together to make it fit on the front of the couch. I then had a couch cover that I used a staple gun to secure the cushion to the couch. Then I put an additional couch cover over that and added some pillows.

We had made the pillows years ago, the couch covers I got at a really good clearance deals, and the cushions were the most expensive part of the project. I know it doesn't look like a Ethan Allen couch, but it provides a cozy place to rest and some extra sitting room for our family. Here is how it turned out.

{After}

6 comments:

Alison said...

Talk about creative!!! You never cease to amaze me at your creativity Linda! That's awesome!!

Linda said...

You are sweet Alison, Thank You!

Kandy Howard said...

WOW! WOW! WOW! That's all I can say. WOW!

Linda said...

Thanks Kandy, We need to have you guys over so you can come sit on our cardboard couch:).

Mrs. said...

Do you have directions?

Linda said...

I did my own design, but I could tell you what I did. We had just moved, so we had all kinds of boxes to choose from. I choose boxes that made a good shape for a couch, then I broke down boxes, folded them up, and continued to stuff my couch boxes with them and moving paper. My whole family can sit on this couch. It is solid! I used a glue gun to put it all together and mod podge and scrap book paper (the first time) to cover it. I don't know if that is specific enough, I could draw up directions if you would like :).