Monday, May 2, 2011

Popcorn Popping

We have a road in our neighborhood we call "Blossom Row." We call it this all year long although it only blossoms about two weeks out of the year. When it does, it is our favorite thing to go driving through the row of trees. Blossoms never seem to stay long enough in the spring. In celebration of blossoms, we can sing "popcorn popping" and make our own popcorn.


I am putting this recipe on my "make only at home list." I wonder why I have been buying these bags of microwave popcorn for all of these years when I could really be making my own for pennies on the dollar! This is quick and easy, with the only challenge being finding the right toppings for your popcorn.

Update: Please be careful with popping, it goes from cooked, to burnt, to smoking, really fast. Get to know your microwave and what settings work best.

Popcorn Popping

1/2 cup popcorn kernels
1 lunch bag, paper

Put popcorn kernels in the bottom of the lunch bag. Fold the lunch bag down two or three times. Place in the microwave on its side. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until popping is about 2 seconds apart. Cover in salt, butter and what ever else delights your family!

5 comments:

sneaux said...

Huh. I don't know why I never considered popping corn like that. Although, I don't have a microwave at home - but for some reason I never thought about making my own microwave popcorn for work. I don't know why I always thought there was something "special" about the corn sold in the microwave bags. Dunno why I thought that, but I did.

Linda said...

I know! It's funny how when things come in a box, we think there must be some magic trick that we don't know about! If you are making at work, 1/2 cup makes A LOT of popcorn. If you try it, I would love to know how you like it!

David said...

I am going to try it!
Sarah

Daisha said...

1/2 cup of popcorn fills a huge soup pot on the stove. You'll need to use less kernals in the lunch bag otherwise it will burst!

Linda said...

:) It worked for me to use a 1/2 cup in a paper bag, but it did make a huge amount of popcorn!