Monday, April 25, 2011

Slow Rise

There are more options when making bread than knowing you
can't go anywhere while waiting for the dough to double in size. 
Putting the dough in the refrigerator to rise will slow the rising process .
I have read about his and made naan flatbread today to test it out.
I made the dough...


Naan only needs to rise once. So after preparing the dough for the rise, I
placed the dough in the refrigerator. It usually takes about an hour for naan
dough to rise. I left the dough in the refrigerator for 5 hours.
Here is the result...


This slow rise can be done on bread that has two rises. Choose what rise to
place it in the refrigerator. The other rise can be business as usual. It is important to let the dough rest after it has been in the refrigerator so it can come back to room temperature. This way it won't mess with cooking times and temperatures. The first couple naan I cooked were still a little cold and it burned slightly.

The cool temperature slows the yeast activity. I'm sure this bread could have lasted a few more hours for an overnight rise. If it rises too long it will start to break down in a similar way as if it has risen too long at room temperature. This slow rise helps develop wonderful texture and flavor. I couldn't believe the difference in my naan today. This method provides flexiblity in when you bake your bread, and makes the bread delicious.

2 comments:

Alison said...

Thanks Linda. Good to know.

Linda said...

Thanks Alison, I would love to come make your rolls with you, I hear they are so good!