Saturday, March 26, 2011

Urban Farming


We could not have a garden in Colorado because there was a Homeowner policy that we could not have open dirt. Living conditions can often influence our motivation to try gardening. Agricultural scientists have found ways to plant gardens in all sorts of environments, including without soil. It is fascinating to see them introduce farming in the concrete jungle. Children are able to grow gardens at school and literally eat the fruits of their labors. Watch and be amazed.
Then go plan your spring garden. It is time to plant!  

4 comments:

Rochelle said...

That's interesting, Linda, because we had a garden every year that we lived in our house in the old neighborhood. I guess we didn't know that was against the HOA rules! :) We had 2 types of tomatoes, pumpkins, carrots, and strawberries. Several of our neighbors had gardens as well.

Linda said...

That is so funny! I wish I would have known. O am sure that was the least of the HOAs worry in that neighborhood:)

Alison said...

Linda, do you know much about planting a garden in a wood box? I don't remember the exact name of it? I'm interested but don't know anything about it.

Linda said...

Square foot gardening is one way, that is what I do. You are welcome to come over to my house and see my garden.