Saturday, March 19, 2011

72 Hour Kits - Food Edition

I know they say you can survive on much less calories than we usually eat. This is totally my opinion, but my kids are upset when dinner is 10 minutes late. I have three growing boys and food is really important to them. When it comes to planning food for three days, I am going to plan for meals, drinks, and snacks.

I have spent the last couple of weeks wandering around the grocery store and looking for fresh ideas for my family's 72 hour kit. I will list ideas just to get you thinking about possibilities. Families are so unique. Only you can decide what is in your kit. You can take your own family to the grocery store and look for inspiration. This list of food I included is not a meal plan, just ideas for food that could be used in your kits.

Food in 72 Hour Kits should meet certain requirements.
Long Shelf Life
Nutritious
Calories

Foods that meet these requirements:
(all these foods have about a year shelf life)

PowerBar Protein Plus
360 calories
11 g. fat
15% Calcium + Iron


Ensure Muscle Health
250calories
8 g. fat
13 g. protein
24% Potassium
26 Vitamins + Minerals



Nutella - 2 T.
200 Calories
11 g. fat
3 g. protein
4% Calcium + Iron


Laughing Cow Cheese
35 calories a wedge
1.5 g. fat
2 g. protein
8% Calcium

Coming Soon...more food ideas for 72 hour kits!

The Winner is.......Stacey!

6 comments:

Alison said...

Linda, I'm not very familiar with laughing cow cheese. Can it really last a year? I thought it was refrigerated. I love your ideas though.

Linda said...

Alison, click on "read about this cheese" to learn more about this cheese. It really does have a long shelf life and doesn't have to be refrigerated until after it is opened!

Cory and Becca said...

wow...that is crazy about Laughing cow cheese!...I never knew that and best of all it is delicious!

Linda said...

Becca, That is crazy! We love laughing cow cheese at our house. At Costco you can buy it in packs of 4 or 5.

Stacey said...

Thanks Linda,
What did I win? I'm happy just being the winner =)

Linda said...

Did you get it in the mail? It's fun being the winner! :)