Friday, January 14, 2011

What the World Eats - Part 2

This was at the Henricus Historical Festival, featuring life as it was in 1611. This was the second successful settlement in North America. We love going to this. If you happen to be in Virginia this September, this will be the 400th Commemoration. It is an amazing experience, including the "Godspeed" on the river. This picture represents the dinner table in 1611. The pot over the fire is not far away. Growing food was essential. Preparing food was essential.

What have we learned about food since this time? Is it that everything must come in a package for it to be acceptable to eat? It is the most expensive way to eat. As part of the book, "What the World Eats," they also had a section on how much people in different countries spend on food weekly. It was an amazing contrast. Here is a list of examples.

Guatemala $75.70
India $39.27
Mali $26.39
Egypt $68.53
Ecuador $31.55
Mongolia $40.02
U.S. (N. Carolina) $159.18
Great Britain $235.15
Chad (refugee camp) $1.22
Bhutan $5.03

These amounts show the contrast of what people are eating and how much is available to them. The money spent each week also represents how much prepackaged foods were purchased. Naturally, the more money spent, the more specialty, prepackaged foods were purchased. Go to Time.com to see some of the pictures of the families included in the book. It shows the family with their weeks worth of food. It is so interesting!

Eating the basics really does save money. Today I read a story of a woman who went on a "spending fast" which meant for a whole year she would not buy anything but essentials. She saved a drastic amount of money ($18,000) and was able to pay off a lot of debt. Even my best efforts to save money would not produce those kind of results, but I am determined this year to try to cut back on prepackaged foods.

Cereal was the first to go, then canned beans, and now tortillas have made it to the list. I figured the way our family eats tortilla's the total use in a year would be about $150.00. Homemade tortillas are so delicious and easy (I will post recipe soon, it is also in my book)! It would cost me $4.80 a year to make the same amount of tortillas for my family. A savings of  $144.20. Adding that on to my other savings, my total savings for the year is up to $937.00.

2 comments:

Kandy said...

Wow Linda! I'm impressed! That's no small chunk of change! Way to go!

Linda said...

Thanks Kandy! I should clarify that amount is if I countiue to stick to my budget plan for the whole year...but it is really adding up. It's amazing what small changes can do!