Saturday, January 22, 2011

Flour Tortilla

I try to get my boys in the kitchen cooking with me as often as I can. They are good  at mixing and measuring. My son here is cutting our bread sticks we call "pull aparts." He is cutting them with a pizza cutter. He loves this job, as you can tell, his hand is a bit fuzzy from how fast he is moving with that pizza cutter. It is a fun cutting tool for kids. Last week I called my boys into the kitchen and told them their chore for the day was making french bread with me. I wanted them to see how quickly you can get bread started, and how delicious it is when it is done!

Tortillas are also quick to get started also, and quick to finish. I made them a couple of times last week. I do not have a tortilla press, although if you make a lot of tortillas, it might be worth the $20.00 investment. My secret to getting thin tortillas is rolling them out with a rolling pin, then placing the tortilla on a plate and using my hands to further press out the tortilla until it is very thin. This makes all the difference because there is something that is just not right about thick flour tortillas. I love this recipe.

Flour Tortilla

2 cups flour
1½ tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. vegetable oil
¾ cup warm milk

Combine dry ingredients. Add oil. While mixing, slowly add warm milk until dough forms a sticky ball.
On lightly floured surface, knead dough briefly to form a smooth ball. Place dough in an oiled bowl and brush with oil. Cover with plastic wrap and let rest for 20 minutes.

Divide dough into eight pieces. Place pieces on a plate and cover with plastic wrap. Let rest for 10 minutes.
On lightly floured surface, roll each ball out as thin as possible. On a dry frying pan, cook tortillas on medium heat. Cook the tortilla 20-30 seconds on each side. Continue turning tortilla until cooked.

Repeat with remaining dough. Wrap in a towel to keep warm until ready to serve.

No comments: