Monday, September 27, 2010

Pita Heaven


Years ago, I got to watch these ladies cook flat bread in Egypt. It was flat bread heaven. At the time I just loved to eat it, I had no idea that years later I would be searching for the perfect flat bread recipe. These ladies lived and breathed the bread that they ate. I wonder if they even had the recipe written down. This bread melted in your mouth when it was fresh out of the oven. How I wish I would have walked away with more than just this picture!  Well here is my Pita recipe I use until I can get back to Egypt to ask these ladies for their recipe.



Pita

3 cups flour
3 T. olive oil
2¼ tsp. yeast
1 tsp. sugar
2 tsp. salt


Dissolve yeast in 1 cup of warm water. Set aside for 5 minutes. In a large bowl, combine the rest of the ingredients. Mix well Add the yeast and water. Stir in yeast mixture.


In the bowl, knead dough for 1 minute to form a smooth ball. Brush dough with oil and put inside an oiled bowl. Cover bowl with plastic wrap. Let rise for two hours or until doubled in size.


Divide dough into 6 balls. Let rest for 20 minutes. On lightly floured surface, roll each ball into a circle less than ¼ inch thickness. Preheat oven to 500°.


Place dough on a greased baking sheet on center oven rack. Cook about 6 to 8 minutes, turning once or twice during cooking. Serve immediately or seal in plastic bags to store.



If you want to make the dough and cook it later, the dough can rise more slowly in the refrigerator. The dough can be stored in the freezer for up to a month (after it has doubled in size).

When cooking, using a pan of water on the bottom rack of the oven to help keep the dough tender and increases the heat of the oven. Be careful with the water, it gets really hot!

No comments: