Sunday, June 13, 2010

3 Month Meal Planning

Planning a three month supply of food can be a daunting task. I haven't wanted to sit down and plan my three months. Since I'm going to help other ward members plan their three month supply, I decided it was time to plan my own. During this process, I realized some important questions to ask ourselves to make an effective plan.

1. What are my family's 10 favorite dinners, lunches, and breakfasts?
Listing these favorite meals is the first step in making a plan for three months of food storage.
2. Are you anticipating using refrigerated and freezer food?
Consider this, if you have no fridge or freezer, that means you have no electricity. So, your oven will be "out of order" also. So find an alternative method of cooking for these no electricity moments. I think this three months supply is based on our normal food and cooking habits because of the guidelines given on Provident Living.
The LDS Church says to "Build a small supply of food that is part of your normal, daily diet." I feel that this is saying what I eat every day, so my three month supply will have freezer, fridge, and oven foods. Because that is what I do in my "normal, daily diet."
3. What are your family's favorite snacks, beverages, and vitamin supplements?
These are important part of our three month supply of food. These will help maintain health and happiness for your family.
4. What is our plan?

3 months = 90 days. Take your list of 10 Dinners X 9. Do this for all your meals, and snacks. Create a beverage and vitamin supplement list as needed. Make a shopping list.
5. What is my complete shopping list of supplies for my meals, snacks, beverages, and vitamin supplements?
Check your pantry and see what is already there. You can subtract from your list the amounts that are already in your cupboards. Try to keep track of these items as you rotate them in your daily living. Keep shopping to replenish.
This can get you started on the road to your three month supply of food storage.

2 comments:

Linda said...

Someone mentioned to me that Wendy Dewitt suggests planning for a late breakfast and dinner. I guess there are a lot of different ways to plan for the 3 months. Just make sure the calorie intake is in a safe range.

Alison said...

These are great ideas Linda! Thank you! You've really given us something to think about.