Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Garden




A garden is something we have been encouraged to do as a church for a very long time. I was so excited coming to Virginia because of the fabulous garden I would have. Kurt built me this beautiful garden. But, it didn't take me long to figure out my yard had way to much shade.
My cucumbers looked more like small melons. It was very discouraging. I have learned something new every year. I have added some containers to my garden so I can grow things that are placed in the sun. I have learned what grows really well in the shade...parsley, basil, lettuce, and some flowers to attract the bees. I am excited for year three in trying to grow my own food. This is our living food storage.

"An almost forgotten means of economic self-reliance is the home production of food. We are too accustomed to going to stores and purchasing what we need. By producing some of our food we reduce, to a great extent, the impact of inflation on our money.
More importantly, we learn how to produce our own food and involve all family members in a beneficial project. No more timely counsel, I feel, has been given by President Kimball than his repeated emphasis to grow our own gardens. Here is one sample of his emphasis over the past seven years:
“We encourage you to grow all the food that you feasibly can on your own property. Berry bushes, grapevines, fruit trees—plant them if your climate is right for their growth. Grow vegetables and eat them from your own yard.” (Ensign, May 1976, p. 124).
You do not need to go into debt, may I add, to obtain a year’s supply. Plan to build up your food supply just as you would a savings account. Save a little for storage each pay-check. Can or bottle fruit and vegetables from your gardens and orchards. Learn how to preserve food through drying and possibly freezing.
Make your storage a part of your budget. Store seeds and have sufficient tools on hand to do the job. If you are saving and planning for a second car or a TV set or some item which merely adds to your comfort or pleasure, you may need to change your priorities. We urge you to do this prayerfully and do it now.
I speak with a feeling of great urgency. I have seen what the days of tribulation can do to people. I have seen hunger stalk the streets of Europe. I have witnessed the appalling, emaciated shadows of human figures. I have seen women and children scavenge army garbage dumps for scraps of food. Those scenes and nameless faces cannot be erased from my memory. "
We can all do something today to prepare for tomorrow.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks again -- this is michelle day's dad

very good and very timely

thanks!

Linda said...

I love to hear comments like that! You are welcome!