Sunday, November 8, 2009

Living the Priniciple of Food Storage

There are many things we can do do live the principle of food storage. There have been many times in our married life that we have not had enough money to buy any significant food storage. One of these particular times I felt so frustrated that I could not buy a lot of food storage. I decided that to live this principle I would learn how to use basic foods. I started with learning how to make bread. Food storage is more than stacks of food in a dark cold corner. It is knowing how to prepare basic foods. It is knowing how to grow food. It is knowing how to be self sufficient. We can all find ways to live the principle of food storage.

President Spencer W. Kimball said: “Now I think the time is coming when there will be more distresses, when there may be more tornadoes and more floods, … more earthquakes. … I think they will be increasing probably as we come nearer to the end, and so we must be prepared for this” (Conference Apr. 1974).

He also said: “Should evil times come, many might wish they had filled all their fruit bottles and cultivated a garden in their backyards and planted a few fruit trees and berry bushes and provided for their own commodity needs...And should the trucks fail to fill the shelves of the stores, many would go hungry” ( Conference Oct. 1974).

No comments: